WordPress has been giving me a headache lately 🤦‍♂️

I’ve been spending way too much time troubleshooting WordPress lately.

Initially, it seemed like the automatic plugin updates were a blessing, but that turned out to be quite the opposite.

Clients would send me screenshots of their sites suddenly not looking right. Most of the time, when this happened, it was due to an update that occurred automatically and didn’t play nice with other plugins that didn’t update yet, or the plugin developer released a version that had issues.

After dedicating more time than I’d like to admit to troubleshooting and narrowing down the problem, it is nearly always related to Elementor, the builder we use at the agency.

As I laid out in my WordPress Guide we strive to limit plugins to around 10, and still, we faced too many issues that resulted in a bad experience for our clients.

We love Elementor, but to get the full experience, you need to install an additional 2-3 plugins. It also seems like the team has been a bit negligent with version releases. The bloat has been real, and I’ve personally had enough.

I’m convinced that the best way to keep WordPress running smoothly is to limit your plugin consumption even more - and turn off automatic plugin updates.

We’re currently testing Bricks, which is a fantastic alternative to Elementor. It’s too early to tell, but the experience has been great.